Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Days 47 & 48


K and Gala before I left for work

The last two days we’ve been at work and Kennedy has spent the days with Gala.  Things have been mostly uneventful but she has had some nausea and developed mouth sores from the chemo; nothing a little Zofran and Tylenol can’t cure.

After work we’ve been keeping busy.  On Monday we baked and tonight our neighbors (Kaitlyn, Gina and Cannon) came by to play with K and Maddox outside.  Kennedy is on cloud nine playing with the older girls and they are so good with her.  We are definitely lucky to live by such wonderful people.

It seems that the whole neighborhood is going on spring break.  It’s interesting to think that if K didn’t get sick, Gene and I would be in Oahu right now and the kids would be shuffled between Grandma and Gala.  The thought of ever leaving them now (or ever in the future for that matter) doesn’t even seem like it will be on the table again.  It’s not that I don’t think that K will get well and all will be fine, it’s just that I can’t imagine ever being far away from them again.

Gina, K and Kaitlyn
Life certainly is different and different isn’t bad.  It’s bad Kennedy has cancer but it isn’t bad that we reprioritized how we live.  We finally slowed down and have time to appreciate things more. 

Today I appreciated some “me time”.  Instead of running straight home, I stopped at a store and bought the family some stuff.  Nothing we really needed but I just needed to take a break between work and home to regroup.  Although I love coming home to the children, I needed a moment to exhale and reboot so I can stay positive and prepare for entertaining them.  Laying down on the couch and watching TV is no longer on the table.

Thursday is clinic and the start of a 7-day steroid run.  I’m not quite sure how I’m going to keep K from eating for the 2 hours before and 2 hours after her 6MP pill since her appetite will be surging.  Any ideas???  Middle of the night maybe?  Not looking forward to the return of the eating machine.

1 comment: