Thursday, March 15, 2012

Day 43

So things must have been going too well because tonight we had a hiccup.  The hiccup probably could have been avoided by changing out the faulty iv pump 2 hours prior but instead we sprung a chemo leak.

I got to the hospital at 6:00, the time they started the methotrexate drip.  We soon learned that the iv had no battery backup and the minute it was unplugged from the wall, we had about 20 seconds before the whole thing went completely dead.  Our nurse said she ordered a new one but it never came and she never followed up.  This meant very interesting trips to the bathroom.  The methotrexate requires mass hydration so k needed to pee every half hour.  The routine was getting up, having k cross the room half way, unplugging the machine and running to the bathroom to replug in the machine.  We made it every time but once, the machine went dead....again.  You'd think this would serve as a reminder to the nurse (that and my complaining about the situation) but it didn't.

The last mission, not sure what happened but the chemo tubing sprung a leak and the chemical began spraying everywhere.  Apparently chemo is toxic so we then had 4 nurses in here with full gear cleaning up.  Do I need to mention that the chemo leaked on my arm and even after scrubbing the area, it was red and itchy?  Oh - and miraculously they had another pump right there for us to switch out with.  On top of it, because of the need to act so quick, instead of putting heparin in her port, they just did a quick flush.  They told me they didn't know when the new chemo would be ready. 

After an hour, I asked our nurse for Helprin to ensure the port doesn't clog up where K would need to be reaccessed.  She said she'd order it.  Why the hell did I have to remember this?  On top of it, I asked about hydration.  K was 't drinking anything and I am certain she is supposed to stay very hydrated.  They said not to worry about it that the chemo should come by 11 - two hours after the chemo was originally removed.  Not to sound doubtful, but I don't trust that decision but I have no one up here to talk to.  Thankfully the nurse finally made me feel better by starting the hydration early, despite pharmacy saying it wasn't necessary.

So now we wait.  I absolutely love the doctor but I'm really disappointed about the lack of communication and carelessness tonight.  I don't know how we are going to bare another 5 stays here. Tonight sucks.

On a side note Kennedy had a great day with dad and things went smoothly at clinic.  She even got some laughs with her adorable new t-shirt "no-pokeys" (thanks Kim).

3 comments:

  1. I think I got mad again when I read this. I would make sure you tell Dr. M and even write it up on the review they give mail you next week. They take those things pretty seriously.
    I pray today goes smoothly and no hiccups!
    K & E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait until the review people read this story. My god! It's a horror story!!! No one's perfect- but this is ridiculous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good thing K has you for a Mommy....imagine a passive person dealing with all this! Keep pushing for the RIGHT way...your gut always knows! Oh, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so keep pushing that call light, and going out in the hall until they do it right! The nurse manager could have stepped in if the nurse was too busy. Period. That's just BS. Makes me mad. HUGS to you all...Angela & Art

    ReplyDelete