Friday, March 2, 2012

Day 29 & 30



Yesterday was great.  We made cupcakes, jello jigglers and cookies.  K received a ton of baking supplies 2-days ago (in addition to my Target run) so baking was the theme of the day.  We took a nap around 12 and returned to cooking.  She was exhausted all day and also went to bed at 7pm.  I was worried her exhaustion meant her blood counts were low and that she might need a transfusion again.

Last night I spent a few hours at a neighbors house after K went to bed.  Usually I am overwhelmed with a group of people around but not last night.  It was nice to get out and it was the first time I let down my guard.  It was nice to laugh.

Today was the day they tested her bone marrow for percentage of blasts (cancer cells) and it was also the day she couldn’t eat all morning.  She actually woke up at 2am super thirsty and I cheated by giving her a big gulp of water.  We got up, gave her the dex (steroid) with a swish of water and then that was it until after the procedure. 


K and dad waiting for the procedure.
Grumpy face says "I'm hungry"
Post procedure "I feel weird"





















The procedure was scheduled for 10 am and thankfully she didn’t need blood or platelets but they still didn’t start until 11.  She was not a happy camper and was miserable about food.  Thankfully all went well. 

It’s hard to sit and rub her head knowing needles are going into her back.  Since her eyes are open while she is under the twilight anesthesia, I couldn’t cry but wanted to.  I didn't want K to see me cry, even though she was “under”.  Dad got the procedure view, luckily I was by her head and didn’t see a thing.

Now we wait.  We should know on Tuesday her risk level.  Doc will let us know on Wednesday the next course of treatment.  Thursday is another spinal.

We came home and took a nap.  The plan is to head to Buld-a-Bear this evening.  Her blood counts were awesome so we can take a trip to the mall.  We still can’t take her to the movies (per the doc) but wide-open spaces are OK.  Still trying to figure out this rationale but I’ll venture out.  

Maddox has a nice busy weekend planned.  He has a play date this evening, swimming tomorrow morning, followed by a sleepover and yet another playdate on Sunday.  Lucky kid.

3 comments:

  1. praying while you wait. Great news on the blood counts! hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay on the blood counts!!!! Praying for you all. Great picture of Maddox and K! Baking sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for good test results! Hope build a bear was fun!!!

    ReplyDelete