Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 8


We went home today.  We weren’t quite sure that would happen because Kennedy’s sugar was at 190.  It was quite the wake-up call for her.  They had to prick her finger and I didn’t have the heart to wake her up and tell her “pokey” so I let them do it while she was asleep.  I crept out of the room and claimed I had no idea they were going to do that since I promised there would be no more needles after the port was put in.  Thankfully, it wasn’t that traumatic but she was NOT happy.

Thankfully they let us go anyway but we need to watch her sugar intake.  It’s not the food but the steroid that is causing the increase in her sugar level but food can make it worse.

Driving her home felt like bringing home a newborn.  Scared to drive, not sure what to do when you get home and nervous about everything. Gala, our nanny sterilized her room and washed down everything but of course, that is not where she stayed.
 
Kennedy relaxed in our room with me while Gene went to run around and get all the food and prescriptions she needed.  Because we have been out of the real world for so long, it took a couple of trips to the store by both of us to finally get it right.

K slept most of the afternoon, catching up from her hospital stay.  She had no appetite for lunch but then perked up in the evening.  Her favorite is edamame and miso soup, at least today.  Grandma, Grandpa and Uncle came to visit Kennedy and Christina dropped off a little coloring set for her along with more anti-bacterial gels and washes for me. 

While the house was semi-full, I took Maddox for a play date at his buddy Jake’s house around 4 and picked him at 5.  I can tell this is bothering him as he is way more hyper and intense than normal – or maybe I am just sleep deprived and not used to his silly ways. 

Maddox had a Rec function at school tonight from 7 – 8 that Gene was supposed to take him to, that is until Maddox decided he no longer wanted to go with all the grandparents at the house.  Luckily I convinced him to go and I went with.  It is odd being in the real world, it feels overwhelming.  It’s not like I didn’t know that life didn’t stop for everyone else just because it did for me but it’s weird to see everyone so normal when my world is upside down.  Tonight I did not do a good job of being playful with Maddox at the event but he didn’t seem to mind, he was being his normal social self and barely noticed I was there.
  
Coming home was a bit overwhelming too.  Medicine time was half way done when I arrived – it’s a bit scary with so many to administer but she did great.  Uncle Sergey brought us dinner and grandma helped Maddox study for his spelling test which was so nice. Then the family left.  

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Kennedy on her way home.....she is sooo happy! Hang in there! hugs to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, love the pic, great to see princess k with a smile!

    ReplyDelete