Sunday, April 1, 2012

Days 59 & 60


K, Dad and Maddox at Starlight Event



Thankfully the effects of the steroid pulse fully wore off on Saturday.  Kennedy woke up happy and was upbeat all day.  It’s amazing how the steroids completely change her personality. 

Saturday evening we went to an event held by Starlight Foundation at Orbit Skate Center.  The foundation arranges entertainment for chronic and seriously ill children and this one was roller skating.  We signed up for it because it was near the house and it seemed like a fun thing for K to do.  K and Maddox had a wonderful time and despite all the leg pain K experienced earlier in the week, she was up and skating nearly the entire time.  For Gene and me, the experience was different.  Looking around at all the children that were disabled, blind, ill or wheel-chair bound made us realize how much our lives had changed.  When we first walked in I wanted to cry; I thought, “this isn’t for us, we don’t have a sick kid”.  But we do.  And those parents probably looked at our puffed up cherub with a big bald spot and thought the same thing, “that poor kid”.  Despite the sadness Gene and I felt, we made the best of it but I’m not sure we can go back.  It’s hard enough dealing with the fact Kennedy has cancer but seeing other ill children, children that won’t be cured in 2.5 years, is just too much to take.  
Even mom skated (I never skate!)

Saturday night I went out to celebrate Kora’s 35th birthday downtown.  This was the first time I'd been "out-out" in 59 days.  Completely proving my radical social change, I left the house with Stephanie at 7:30 and was home by 11.  I think Gene could hardly control his laughter when I walked in so early – sober.  I tried, I really did, but I just could’t let loose when K is sick.  The tides change too quickly and I feel like I always need to be on guard.  I did drink a little but not enough to catch a buzz.

Sunday was a home day.  Gene made a huge breakfast and pulled out the juicer and juiced everything in sight – it was wonderful.  Kaitlyn came by to play with Kennedy.  I must say I love having such wonderful neighbors.  The girls played for hours and since Kaitlyn is in 4th grade, I could relax and leave the girls alone knowing K was in good hands.  They put together legos, baked and roller skated/bladed a bit.  Kennedy really let loose and I think Kaitlyn was surprised how un-shy Kennedy could be.  Gene escaped to the gym at 2 and then I checked out to hot yoga (finally) at 4:30 and loved every second.  
K and Kaitlyn hanging out



This week will be a hospital admit.  K will go for her spinal chemo infusion Thursday morning and then get admitted for the 24-hour Methotrexate drip.  Hopefully, we’ll get to go home again on Saturday.  This new rhythm is hard to get used to and it’s sad that it is becoming ordinary for Kennedy.   When we told her that this week is an admit, she shrugged and said “AGAIN???”

I forgot to post some pics of Kennedy and Sofia playing with K's wig and hats with hair so I posted them below.  K wasn't wearing any of it until Sofia found them cool and now of course she loves them.  K tried to wear one of them to the Saturday event but got to hot.  I don't blame her for not wearing them but they are pretty darn cute.

K in Kora's Hair

Sofia and Kennedy modeling the cool hair

3 comments:

  1. Kennedy and Sophia as blondes!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kennedy looks like a beautiful blonde barbie doll! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the hospital stay is a quick one. Kennedy is such a trooper! And the long blonde hair-so cute! :D

    ReplyDelete