Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Days 61 & 62


Miss Sassy K with her cool hat

Not much to report, which is good news around here.  Kennedy has a sassy attitude going on and we’re not sure if it is from the steroids she was on last week or just being completely spoiled.  Whatever the cause is, we’ll deal with it so long as she continues to feel well.  With the upcoming hospital visit, we know that nausea and mouth sores may be on their way so we’re soaking up every second of “good”.

On a side note, I got Gene to go to hot yoga with me today – finally!  We are both feeling pretty calm tonight so it did its job.  Grandma came back from Ireland and visited the kids and they were ecstatic!

This afternoon I was not so calm.  I had a conversation that caused much unneeded stress - apparently I caused this stress but who knows.  As I’ve posted before, we need to be very careful about Kennedy’s visitors.  Much of Gene and my family have not seen Kennedy since she’s been diagnosed because we don’t want to expose her to unnecessary germs.  K’s visitors are limited to kids because if we are going to take the risk of visits, it should be with people her own age that make her happy and heal her spirit.  Because of this, we have asked that many adults that don’t have kids not come to see her until after she is on maintenance (early August).  Well today it blew up in my face.  Apparently I made a long-time family friend feel “bad and hurt” by telling them not to come and visit a week ago.  I didn’t realize I caused this person distress by my request until today and it actually irritates me that this is such a big deal.  Why should I be made to feel bad for not exposing Kennedy to unnecessary visits?  I think sometimes my posts and pictures don’t represent the supervision that is really present with visits (like the massive hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes and even masks at times).  I understand many people love her and want to see her but if they really loved her, why don’t they respect the fact this is serious – it’s cancer and she is at risk for infections that can cause more damage than the chemo?  Anyway, I got the message second hand along with a guilt trip and it set me off.  Enough ranting but ARGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Starting to pack for the hospital.  We have a mile-long list and should finish cooking and gathering by tomorrow evening, just in time for the Thursday admit.  Maddox has a Thursday – Saturday playdate with Anthony (thanks Chris and Angela!).  Anthony lives out in Naperville so words cannot express my gratitude to the Grecos for coming all this way to get Maddox just to hang out.

Next blog should come from Loyola…hoping for an event free stay this time.


3 comments:

  1. You are not permitted to feel guilty- especially about trying to protect your kids from harm. No one cares more about other people's feelings than you do-but please ignore this feedback. Nothing else matters right now but keeping the kid from harm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your friend took your request personally. It's such a hard balance, but this is not about them, it is about K and her safety and health. You are allowed to make any requests that you need to to keep her healthy and you sane. Hope fully this friend will be able to look back and realize it is what is best for your family right now.
    Keep hanging on!
    ~Katie & Ella

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Ella likes the Purple hat!

    ReplyDelete